If you are having difficulty gaining access through a locked door, then drilling out the lock is an effective method of solving such a problem. Because this way, you can effortlessly gain access without having to damage the door.
If you can accurately drill through the lock, the only damage you’ll cause will be to the locking mechanism that can be replaced easily. But selecting the right drill bit for this task can be challenging. Therefore, we are here to talk about the best drill bits for drilling out locks.
- DIYers pick: Top 5 Best Drill Bits for Drilling Out Locks
- Factors to pick the 5 Best Drill Bits for Drilling Out Locks
- FAQs on Best Drill Bits for Drilling Out Locks
DIYers pick: Top 5 Best Drill Bits for Drilling Out Locks
There are several options of drill bits available that you can consider for the task at hand. But not all of them will have all the features you are looking for. Therefore, you need to do thorough research on the lock drill bits so that you can avoid choosing the wrong one for yourself. In this article, we are going to talk about the top 5 drill bits for door locks that you should consider. Because we believe, you’ll find the one that fulfils your requirements among these.
Top pick Drill Bit
IRWIN: Drill Bits for Drilling Out Locks
- IRWIN drill bit set offers 10 sizes of bits for easy handling.
- The left-hand design provides additional gripping power.
- The spiral fluting enables better control during the increases in resistance.
- Better penetration is possible due to the etched sides of the drill bits.
- The solid construction makes it highly durable and reliable.
- The metal index case ensures easy storage.
If you are looking for a drill bit set that comes with great design, style, and reliability, then the IRWIN drill bit is the right one for you. It is one of the top drill bits for drilling out locks. The main feature that separates this drill bit from several others is the unique left-hand design and spiral fluting it comes with. This design ensures proper gripping power even while dealing with hard materials that exhibit increased resistance. It is made of cobalt that offers a solid structure assuring durability.
The IRWIN drill bit set comes in 10 different sizes. Thus, provides you a wide range of options to select from while drilling out locks. These bits also have sizes etched on them, making the selection process easier for you.
- You can effortlessly use the IRWIN drill bit for the removal of broken bolts, studs, fittings, and screws. It provides extra power because of its aggressive design. The drill bit has faster removing power than most others. You will find the several options of sizes very helpful. You can also easily identify the sizes which may be an issue for some other drill bit sets. It also provides high durability.
- Even though the IRWIN drill bit ensures great durability, you may find some of the bits to be fragile and vulnerable. These bits can sometimes dull quickly as well if you use them to drill out hard materials. The cost of this drill bit set can also seem a bit high in comparison to its features.
Screw X-Tractor: Drill bits for locks
- The Screw X-Tractor Damaged Screw Extractor Drill Bit is made of high-quality high-speed steel.
- It comes in four different sizes and is suitable for all drills and diverse drilling.
- The drill bit offers smooth penetration with 63-65HRC hardness as well as great durability.
- Effortless operation is possible due to the two-step operation feature.
- It comes with a metal case that ensures easy storage and maintenance.
The Screw X-Tractor Damaged Screw Extractor Drill Bit is one of the top drill bits for locks. If you want a drill bit that provides you with versatility, durability, and high accuracy, then you should undoubtedly consider this drill bit. This best drill bit will serve you greatly whenever you need to drill out locks or extract stubborn screws. It has 4 pieces of bits that are highly suitable for all sorts of operations and can also be easily attached to the chuck.
Screw X-Tractor Damaged Screw Extractor Drill Bit is made of high-speed steel and 63-65HRC hardness that offers great stability and durability for lock drill bits. It ensures easy operation with its two-step operation feature that allows the users to carry out any task professionally. In addition, it comes with a well-organized metal case for convenient storage.
- You will find the Screw X-Tractor Damaged Screw Extractor Drill Bit very easy to operate with as it features a two-step operation. The 4 sizes of drill bits make it easier for you to execute different operations of diverse drilling more accurately. So, even though you are new to drilling, it will provide you with an expert-level outcome.
- There have been several complaints regarding the quality of the Screw X-Tractor Damaged Screw Extractor Drill Bit. Some found the construction of this drill bit to be very poor and of cheap quality. It may also be unable to perform on hard surfaces. This drill bit also tends to break after a few uses.
VSILE: Drill Bits for Drilling Out Locks
- VSILE Damaged Screw Extractor Drill Bit is made of super speed steel.
- It comes with 6 different sizes of drill bits for greater versatility.
- Modern design with great hardness provides the bits great durability.
- This drill bit requires only a two-step application for completing any task.
- It provides great ease for all levels of users.
- The toolkit box offers effortless and convenient storage.
VSILE Damaged Screw Extractor Drill Bit is one of the top drill bits for locks available out there. Many people consider it to be the star performer when it comes to dealing with hard surfaces. It is very versatile as it comes in 6 different sizes that easily fit and thereby offers you a wide area of operation.
This drill bit is made of super-speed steel with a 63-65HRC hardness that elongates its service life. So, the durability of this drill bit is recommendable. In order to use this drill bit efficiently, all you need to do is follow two simple steps. As a result, you can effortlessly use it even if you haven’t drilled out locks before.
- The VSILE Damaged Screw Extractor Drill Bit is highly durable. It has great versatility due to coming in 6 different sizes. So you can use it for all sorts of operations. Even if you are not familiar with drilling tasks, this drill bit will provide you great comfort and ease. Storage won’t be an issue as it comes with its very own tool kit storage box. You can get the expected result only with the help of a two-step application.
- The only problem with the VSILE Damaged Screw Extractor Drill Bit is that, even though it offers you easy operation, the quality of the drill bit is quite low. This set cannot guarantee good quality drill bits as it comes with soft drill bits. And you cannot use these drill bits to drill through hard objects.
NEIKO: Drill Bits for Door Locks
- The NEIKO 01925A Drill Bit is made of high-speed steel that’s cobalt fortified.
- The solid build provides greater service life.
- It has better gripping power due to spiral flutes.
- This versatile drill bit set comes with 10 different-sized bits for various uses.
- It comes with both left-hand bits and screw extractors.
- Storage of the drill bits is easy due to the metal case it comes with.
- Identifying the different sizes of drill bits is easier because of the clear labels.
If you are looking for an easy-to-use drill bit that comes with great features at a low cost, then the NEIKO 01925A Drill Bit is the right one for you. Among the top drill bits for door locks, this one has made its place because of its efficiency, versatility, and reliability.
This drill bit provides long-time service without sacrificing its quality because of its high-speed steel cobalt fortified build. You can use it as both left-hand bits and screw extractors because of its dual versatility. This drill bit also offers exceptional grip during operation due to the spiral flutes. Also, the metal case it comes in makes storing and maintenance easier for you.
- The NEIKO 01925A Drill Bit is highly reliable because of its strong build. You can use it for various types of operations. You can effortlessly work on heavy-duty projects without worrying about losing control of the grip. If you are on a budget, then this drill bit is perfect for you.
- You may find the NEIKO 01925A Drill Bit to be unreliable when you use it on hard surfaces. If you use this drill bit a few times, you’ll notice that the bits become quite dull. So the quality of it is not as promised. You may also find the storing of these drill bits difficult because the case doesn’t hold the bits properly and they may fall out while opening the case.
Core centre Drill Bit
Werkzeug: Locksmith Drill Bits
- Werkzeug Self Centering Hinge Tapper Core center drill Bit is made of high-speed steel.
- The 8 different sizes ensure to satisfy all sorts of demands.
- It confirms efficiency and accuracy due to the automatic positioning center.
- Universal chuck makes screwing and unscrewing of different-sized bits easier.
- The one-step operation promotes effortless drilling.
- The drilling is easier because of the drill bit’s inclined blade of 135 degrees.
- The bit holder has a magnetic extension that helps with reaching all corners.
Werkzeug Self Centering Hinge Tapper Core Drill Bit is a highly recommended lock drill bit because of its durability, performance, and versatility. It comes in a set of 20 pieces that have 10 different sizes of drill bits. As a result, you can easily use this for all sorts of operations without having to face any difficulty. It also has a universal chuck due to which screwing and unscrewing these different-sized drill bits is more effortless.
The bits of Werkzeug Self Centering Hinge Tapper Core Drill Bit are both hard and durable because of the top-quality high-speed steel they are made of. Other unique features of this drill bit are its one-step operation and 135-degree inclined blade that ensures effortless and accurate drilling.
- You will find the Werkzeug Self Centering Hinge Tapper Core Drill Bit to be multifunctional and easy to use. It has a solid build that guarantees durability. It can satisfy your every demand with its variety of drill bits with accuracy and efficiency. You can easily screw and unscrew the drill bits and reach corners that are hard to reach with other drill bits.
- Even though the Werkzeug Self Centering Hinge Tapper Core Drill Bit comes in several different sizes, the quality of these bits isn’t up to the mark. There’s no guarantee that these bits would work properly and won’t break while drilling hard metal.
Factors to pick the 5 Best Drill Bits for Drilling Out Locks
In order to buy a suitable lock drill bit, you need to understand the specifications a drill bit needs to offer. Therefore, a buying guide for such products is a necessity. The features you should consider and look for while buying a drill bit is given below-
Even though the core material of drill bits for drilling out locks is cobalt, now all drill bits are constructed with high-quality cobalt. You need high-quality cobalt construction for your drill bit because it increases the bit’s rotating speed and thus ensures faster and smoother operation. Therefore, before settling upon a specific drill bit, make sure it is made of high-quality cobalt.
The durability of the drill bit depends upon its coating as it decreases the possibility of rust. The drill bit also can survive high levels of heat because of its coating. This ensures long-time trouble-free performance.
The tip angle of a drill bit gives you an idea of its capability of drilling through hard surfaces. As locks generally have uneven, hard surfaces, you need to make sure the drill bit you plan on buying has a higher building angle so that it can handle drilling through the rough surface of the lock efficiently and smoothly.
How to drill out a lock with drill bits?
There are some simple steps that you need to follow to drill out a lock with drill bits. At first, properly check out the center point of your lock. Now choose a drill bit that matches the lock’s size and attach it to the drill. Make sure to choose a bit that’s a bit smaller so that it doesn’t damage the mechanism while making a hole.
After that, using a hammer make a point beneath the sheer line when you’ll be drilling the hole afterward. Keep drilling until you don’t face resistance anymore because that means the drill has defeated the pins. Now, using a larger drill bit, repeat the drilling slowly to ensure the pins are properly broken. After that, turn the locking mechanism by inserting a flat-headed screwdriver, and see if it turns effortlessly. If you have correctly done the above-mentioned steps, then the door will now be unlocked.
FAQs on Best Drill Bits for Drilling Out Locks
Can you drill through a lock?
You can definitely drill through a door. It is in fact a very good option when you can’t unlock a door due to not having the key. Because this way, you can open the lock without damaging the door. Just make sure that you are drilling at the correct point of the mechanism. By doing so, you will only damage the locking mechanism that can be easily replaced. Therefore, if you are locked out, the smart thing to do would be to drill through the lock rather than damaging the entire door.
What drill bits are used for locksmiths?
For all sorts of locksmith drilling the Tungsten Carbide Tipped drill bit, also known as the TCT drill bit is most suitable. The best feature of this drill bit is that, among the standard high-speed locksmith drill bits available, this one is the most capable of withstanding high temperatures. The build of this drill bit is also very solid, giving it greater life expectancy in comparison to others. TCT drill bit is also highly resistant to abrasion that makes it easier for you to use and maintain.
Where Can I drill a lock to open it?
In order to drill out a lock properly and successfully, you need to know the exact point through which the drill bit needs to go through at first. The point at which you should aim your drill bit is exactly beneath the sheer line where a divider divides the cylinder’s inner and outer surface. This way it will be just on top of the center plug. Only by making sure that you have accurately set the drill bit, you can successfully drill a lock to open.
In this article, we have talked about the 5 best drill bits for drilling out locks. We have not only given the accurate specifications of the products but also discussed their advantages and disadvantages for your consideration. As it is quite important to select the accurate drill bit to drill out your lock, we have also provided you with a buying guide with additional important pieces of information.
This way, even if you decide not to get a drill bit among the mentioned 5, you can still use the knowledge and buy one that’s not added to the list. We hope this article was of help to you and also hope you get to select the right drill bit for your lock.