Some people take fishing as their livelihood or passion and it shouldn’t come to a pause just because of cold or ice. Before the development of drill-auger adapters, people used gas augers or manual augers for ice fishing. But those were hard to handle because of their bulkiness. This is where the cordless drills for an ice auger come in.
These drills come in a variety of features and options. As a result, knowing the best cordless drill for ice auger has now become a necessity for the people involved in ice fishing.
- DIYers pick: Top 5 Best Cordless Drill for Ice Auger
- Factors to pick the Best Cordless Drill for Ice Auger
- Steps for Turning a Drill into an Ice Auger
- Benefits of Using Cordless Drills for Ice Augers
- FAQs on Best Cordless Drill for Ice Auger
DIYers pick: Top 5 Best Cordless Drill for Ice Auger
For ice fishing, you should be independent of the electricity system. This is why cordless technology has entered to make ice fishing efficient and effortless. As there are many options available and several features to look for, selecting the right cordless drill for ice auger may seem a lengthy process.
Therefore, the focus of this article is to provide you with necessary information on the top 5 best ice auger drills for you to consider to make this selection process easier.
Best Drill for Ice Auger
Makita: Best Drill for Ice Auger
- Makita XPH07Z provides a maximum torque of 1090 in.lbs.
- The lithium-ion battery provides great runtime and power.
- The brushless motor is controlled electronically.
- The optimization of battery energy prolongs run time.
- The variable speed option offers great control.
- It has a greater lifespan due to the elimination of carbon brushes.
- The motor offers a soundless and smooth operation.
- It has a powerful bit grip due to self-ratcheting chuck.
- 3-stage LED features great visibility.
Makita provides excellent and efficient tools. If you are searching for an ice auger cordless drill, you should definitely check out Makita XPH07Z hammer drill. Highly efficient, lightweight, and compact are the three top qualities of this drill. It generates a torque of 1090 in.lbs. making itself suitable for heavy-duty operation. It comes with an 18V lithium-ion battery. This makes the drill a complete energy pack by increasing both run time and power. The runtime for this drill is 50% more because of the optimization of battery energy. It is done by controlling the motor electronically.
Makita XPH07Z has a longer life expectancy than most other ice auger cordless drills because it features the elimination of carbon brushes. Due to this feature, the motor can remain cool even during heavy-duty and long-time operations. Furthermore, the LED feature and side handles make this drill more advantageous.
- Makita XPH07Z offers great power and torque for operating tough tasks easily. It has a greater tool life and durability. The variable speed option lets you control the speed according to the requirement of your project. The lightweight and compact structure make it easy to use. Soundless operation is also one of its great qualities. The machine also provides great visibility with its 3-stage LED.
- You may find the chuck of Makita XPH07Z unsatisfactory. Because with use, the chuck kind of loosens and makes it difficult for you to set the bit. So, you need to be cautious while changing the bits.
TECCPO 20V: Ice Auger Cordless Drill
- The motor of the TECCPO brushless motor generates a maximum torque of 530 in.lbs.
- 20V lithium-ion batteries offer constant drilling.
- The exterior is made of 30% fiberglass and 66% PA.
- The motor prevents noise generation and promotes safer operation.
- An increased run time of 57% increases the motor’s efficiency.
- Variable 2-speed operation grants control over the machine.
- The clutch offers control over drilling.
- The power indicator illustrates the battery’s state.
- Keyless and plastic chuck offers durability and congruity.
- LED promotes greater visualness.
- The drill comes with 33 pieces of additional accessories.
TECCPO brushless motor is one of the best drill for ice auger. It is a combination of all the qualities you require in a drill. This highly efficient drill generates a great amount of torque which eases the drilling process and also lets you control the speed with its variable 2-speed power drill operation.
The battery of this drill is very reliable and can provide continuous drilling. Also, you can easily know about the battery state by the power indicator this drill features.
TECCPO brushless motor is one of the safest ice auger cordless drills as it doesn’t generate spark while operating. Also, it offers noiseless smooth operation rubberised handles that provide you comfort and ease. It also comes with a trigger-active LED feature that enables you to make precise drills even in dark places.
- TECCPO brushless motor can be used for continuous drilling. It provides more security and less noise while operating. You can control the speed depending on your operation. It is highly durable and compatible. You can check the battery’s state while operating. It comes with all the necessary accessories as well as several others.
- The main drawback of the TECCPO brushless motor is that, with the decrease of battery, the drill might stop working. And you need to let go of the trigger and press it again to make start again.
DEWALT 20V: Cordless Drill for Ice Auger
- DEWALT Provides better runtime of 57% more.
- Lithium-ion batteries offer 33% more efficiency.
- High-speed transmission leads to speedier applications.
- It provides speed settings of 550 and 2000 RPM.
- Comfortable handles grant proper control and balance.
- LED comes in three modes and offers 20 times better brightness.
- Ratcheting chuck assures greater bit-gripping strength.
DEWALT 20V Max Cordless Drill is one of the best drill for ice auger. If you are looking for something that’s not only lightweight but also compact and powerful, your search is over. It has a brushless motor that is capable enough of delivering a runtime 57% greater than brushed motors.
The batteries it comes with offer 33% more efficiency as well. 30% speedier application is also possible because of the two-speed setting DEWALT cordless drill features. The compact structure of this drill allows you to use it effortlessly even in cramped-up spaces. The lightweight prevents the occurrence of fatigue, doesn’t matter how long you plan on operating the device. Also, this drill comes with a LED function that features three modes, allowing you to use it in the dark with proper visibility. Lastly, to provide you comfort even further, it comes with comfortable grip handles that let you control and balance the tool properly.
- DEWALT cordless has more battery and power capacity. You can operate it at two different speeds. You may find this drill easy to use because of its lightweight and ergonomic handles. It can be used in dark and confined spaces easily. Finally, it also comes with a warranty of 3 years.
- The motor of the DEWALT cordless drill can sometimes turn out to be weak to handle several operations. You may notice loosening of the chuck that results in falling out of the drill bit. The price of this drill may seem a bit on the high side.
Best Brushless Drill
BOSCH: Brushless Cordless Drill for an Ice Auger
- BOSCH GSB18V produces a torque of 535 in-lbs.
- A lithium-ion battery increases both runtime and power.
- Bluetooth connectivity allows tool setting customization.
- Variable speed application enhances flexibility and versatility.
- The drill ensures risk-free operation.
- It offers an LED feature for better visibility.
- Belt clip, chuck, clutch provides great security.
If you are looking for a suitable cordless drill for an ice auger, you should certainly consider BOSCH GSB18V-535CB15. You can easily use it for heavy-duty operations without facing any problems. Its compact design and Bluetooth connectivity enhance both power and runtime effectively. You can also control and customize the tool settings which gives makes it even more versatile than other cordless drills.
Another great feature of this cordless drill is that you can operate it for a very long time without causing overheat or damage to the battery. Because it offers a heat management feature that drops the heat of the batter 20% faster than usual. It also provides driving accuracy with its precision clutch and LED feature. This way doesn’t matter if your workplace is dark, you’ll be able to get proper perceptibility while operating with the drill. So, BOSCH GSB18V-535CB15 grants you great quality, performance, and durability, all at once.
- BOSCH GSB18V-535CB15 has weighs significantly lighter for your comfort. You can use this drill for heavy-duty purposes with great control. It is highly durable because of its great battery life. You can precisely operate in dark places. This tool also ensures security and safety. It also comes with all the necessary accessories required.
- You need to operate BOSCH GSB18V-535CB15 at a low speed at first if you want the kickback feature to keep on drilling. Otherwise, if you choose to operate the drill at a high speed and power at first, it will stop drilling. There’s also no mention of a warranty for this drill.
Metabo: 18V Best Cordless Drill for Ice Auger
- Metabo HPT DS18DBFL2QB produces a power of 620 in-lbs.
- Versatility is its forte.
- The comfortable grip handle is replaceable.
- It is highly compatible.
- The weight is 3.5 lbs.
- The drill offers an LED function for tracking operation.
- Reactive force control prevents strain due to overheating.
- Keyless chuck offers easy replacement of bit.
- It comes with side handles, a driver drill, and two batteries.
Metabo HPT DS18DBFL2QB is one of the best ice auger drill available out there. This cordless drill offers both control and comfort that too for ample time. As this drill is able to produce 620 in-lbs. power, you can use it for various applications. It can easily tackle heavy-duty tasks with its exceptional attributes.
Metabo HPT DS18DBFL2QB is very lightweight and it is also a tool of compact structure that you can use effortlessly for a long time without having to face fatigue. It comes with side handles that provide you proper control while operating. The LED function helps you drill in the dark with adequate lighting. If you are concerned about safety, you should know that this drill also features a reactive force control that pauses the rotation when the machine overloads. It provides great efficiency and quality at a comparatively low rate.
- One of the best features of Metabo HPT DS18DBFL2QB is that it provides you with control while operating. You can easily use it for heavy-duty operations and can get precise performance because of its admirable clutch. The LED feature lets you track while operating and lightweight prevents you from facing fatigue. It also comes with a warranty of a lifetime and all the necessary accessories.
- Metabo HPT DS18DBFL2QB can not provide you with enough run time. It has a weak battery. And another drawback of this drill is that it makes discomforting noise while operating, which can be irritating and troublesome for some users.
Factors to pick the Best Cordless Drill for Ice Auger
There are several things to consider in order to get the best ice auger drill for yourself. The few top considerations are given below to make buying the drill easier for you-
Speed is one of the most important qualities while buying a cordless drill for ice auger. The speed of a drill determines how fast it will operate and how quickly it will be able to finish the task. The precision of the cut also depends upon the speed of the drill. So, make sure to confirm the speed of the drill you are buying.
You need a drill that is powerful enough to generate high torque. The more powerful your drill is, the easier and faster it will be for you to drill as many holes as you require. Professionals usually require drills that provide from 18-20 volts. But your necessity may not be this high. So, ensure the drill you are leaning towards fulfills your requirements.
It is very important to check the battery capacity before buying your drill. The capability of your cordless drill depends upon the battery capacity. You should know that battery is proportional to the run time. So the bigger your battery is, the more it will provide service without charging. You should also search for a cordless drill with a lower charge time.
Weight is a factor that affects the performance of the drill altogether. Because the comfort and ease of using the specific drill depend upon its weight. You should ensure that the drill you are getting is of the right weight corresponding to your experience and age so that it doesn’t hamper your progress.
Once you buy a drill, it will be a part of your toolbox for a long-time. So, while buying, as it is for long-term use, you should not compromise with comfort. Make sure, the drill you plan on getting provides you with comfort and control.
Steps for Turning a Drill into an Ice Auger
There are a total of 5 steps that you can follow to turn your drill into an ice auger. The steps are briefly discussed below-
Step 1: Get yourself an ice auger if you don’t already have one. Make sure the auger features the appropriate diameter and size in accordance with your fish type.
Step 2: Next, you’ll need an adapter that will connect your drill and auger to one another. Adapters have sturdy and wide handles that provide you greater control and ease. They are also very easy to find and affordable.
Step 3: Now, you need to buy a drill. Your drill needs to match with the auger so that they can be easily connected. This is why make sure to get a drill with an accurate chuck size.
Step 4: Now that you have collected all the necessary parts, you need to assemble them. And before doing so, set your drill at the lowest speed and low torque for safety.
Step 5: Finally, get your ice-fishing reel and start drilling holes to catch your fish.
Which ice auger to use for your cordless drill?
For a successful operation, choosing the proper ice auger is as important as choosing the correct cordless drill. When you are buying an ice auger, you can either separately buy the adapter and ice auger or you can buy them as a set. If you are leaning towards getting the full set, then we suggest you go with the Eskimo Pistol Bit or the K-Drill setup. Because these two feature both ease and lightweight.
It is important to know that the two setups mentioned above come with a top plate that doesn’t allow the auger to go down the hole. However, this feature may not be present in the cheap ice augers. So, if you are on a budget and have to buy the cheap one, you can add a top plate by yourself. So the fabrication is very easy and the whole setup is quite cheap.
Benefits of Using Cordless Drills for Ice Augers
Convenience: Using a cordless drill for an ice auger is very convenient for mainly one reason. That reason is, unlike corded drills, cordless models don’t have bulky wires. These wires create problems while drilling and cause inconvenience. Because of being tied up to a power source, these drills limit your movement while drilling. Moreover, due to the extra weight of the wires, these drills also cause fatigue when you use them for a long time.
Less Noisy: Corded drills are very noisy because of having a large motor and being connected to an external power source. On the other hand, cordless drills don’t depend on any external connection and they only rely on their batteries. As a result, cordless drills generate less noise while operating than corded drills.
Price: Price is an important determiner while buying a drill. And it is also another factor that makes cordless drills beneficial as they are more budget-friendly and affordable than corded drills.
Safety Tips: As machines are mostly high-powered, it is important to know some safety and security tips in order to ensure protection from any kind of harm while operating. Some safety tips regarding the usage of cordless drills for ice augers are given below-
Securing Clothing: When you are out ice fishing, you need to wear waterproof clothing. Because during this operation your clothes tend to get wet which may cause fever or other sicknesses.
Securing Goggles: As you are using a high-powered drill to drill through the ice, it is only obvious that ice crystals would be flying on and off because of the drilling. So, ensure your safety by wearing protective goggles.
These are the two most important safety tricks regarding the matter at hand. But for additional safety, you should also use a hand stabilizer for better control over the drill and an ice chisel to understand the thickness of the ice before drilling. As long as the thickness is less than 3 inches, fishing there won’t be unsafe.
FAQs on Best Cordless Drill for Ice Auger
Do you need a hammer drill for an ice auger?
The answer to this question is- no, you don’t need a hammer drill for an ice auger. Hammer drills are mainly designed for drilling materials that are hard, like- concrete. And drilling through these materials requires great power and strength that only a hammer drill can provide. As for an ice auger, it is suggested not to use a hammer drill because the drill pulverises during drilling. All you need for an ice auger is a high-quality suitable kit of ice auger that comes with great power and durability.
How much torque do I need for an ice auger?
You undoubtedly need high torque for an ice auger. It should be one of your top priorities if you want your ice auger to cut through ice effortlessly. Because this torque level determines whether your drill would be able to cut through ice efficiently and is a short time or will it fail to do so. 750 pounds is a minimum requirement for an ice auger to perform properly. So make sure to check out the product description carefully before buying an ice auger.
What is the best size auger for ice fishing?
Size is an important factor when it comes to ice augers. As augers come in various sizes it is important to know which size is appropriate for your purpose. Depending on the size of the fish you plan on catching, the auger size may differ from four inches to ten inches. However, the most preferred size for an auger is 8 inches. Because it is not only adequately capable of drawing maximum fish but also is suitable for being used for drilling with ease. This way it serves two purposes.
Do drill ice augers work?
If your plan is to drill through early ice, then drill ice augers work just fine. However, if the thickness of the ice is more than 10 inches, then a drill ice auger may not be the right choice for the operation. Because with the increase of ice thickness, the smoothness rate of drilling through ice decreases significantly. Moreover, you can drill only a few holes through thick ice with drill ice augers, but if your plan is to make several holes for ice fishing, a drill ice auger won’t work.
Which cordless drill has the most torque?
When it comes to choosing a cordless drill for an ice auger, high-level torque is an essential feature to look for, as mentioned earlier. Because the higher the torque generation of the drill is, the greater speed and efficiency it will provide. Among the several options of cordless drills out there, the Makita XPH07Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless Drill is the one with the highest torque of 1090 in.lbs. It is an excellent tool with exceptional features for drilling through the ice for ice fishing.
Select the Best Drill for Ice Auger
Ice fishing is a thrilling experience that can be made even better with the help of a drill that possesses the attributes of being lightweight, compact, versatile, and durable. In this article, we have discussed a few of the best drill for an ice auger. We have provided you information regarding each ice auger cordless drill, starting from their description, attributes to their advantages and disadvantages.
Even though we covered the top cordless drills for ice augers, there are still many other options available out there that you may want to consider as well. This is the reason why we also provided you with a buying guide that will help you properly assess the features and use of other functioning drills.
We have also tried to cover several other relevant topics for you, like- turning a drill into an ice auger, the advantages of using a cordless drill for an ice auger, necessary safety tips, etc. so that you can get a more distinct idea about the tool and its use. We hope you found this article helpful and also the best of luck.